👋 Hi! Welcome to Ryan Mahoney’s reflections on engineering management and technology leadership
My work is focused on managing engineering teams that impact the world by building great products.
In doing this work, I have to answer questions like:
- How do you recruit top talent if you aren't paying top dollar?
- How do you retain engineers that could work anywhere they want?
- How do you achieve diversity, equity, and inclusion?
- How can you align all engineers toward the organizational mission?
- How do you create growth opportunities for engineers with superior skills than your own?
- How can we make the on-call responsibility less painful?
- How do you prevent entitled/arrogant culture from taking root on your team?
- How do you hold product owners accountable when you need to?
- How do you get smart people who that are good at most things to take more risks?
- How do you support an increasingly extensive product portfolio over time?
- Which technologies do you invest in, and which do you skip?
- How do you bake security best practices into the development process?
This website is a place where I share my messy thoughts and work artifacts as I navigate through these and other questions.